Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hanging out with Friends

Last night we had a couple of friends over for dinner. Pizza and salad...made homemade dough and sauce. I have to say the dough was really good. I prefer par-baking the crusts first because I don't have a pizza stone to cook on. For once, it came out pretty good. I par-baked at 400F for 15 min to 20 min. I think the temperature is the key. In the past I've used a lower temp. Didn't work out as well.

There was wine, yahtzee afterwards, all in all a good evening.
Tonight is spanakopita, roasted potatoes and salad.

Spanakopita:
30 oz frozen chopped spinach, about $3.00 (though I used two 10-oz packages with some frozen chopped kale from the CSA).
4 oz feta ($1.60)
1 cup chopped onion ($0.25)
16 sheets phyllo dough ($1.00)
1/2 bunch parsley (0.40)
2 eggs (0.24)

Total: $6.49 for 12 servings, or 0.54 per serving.

Roasted potatoes:
1 lb potatoes ($0.34)
canola oil

I also scored...went grocery shopping today for baby food (I know, not frugal) and found nonfat dry milk for $11 for what will make 5 gallons. Plus found dry chickpeas for 0.99/lb.

No comments: