Tuesday, August 29, 2017

5 pounds

So what has been new in my life? The last few months I've been deep into training for the Pier to Peak half marathon. It's pretty much a half marathon up hill.

It starts at sea level... The pier. And ends at La Cumbre Peak, at 3997 ft. Because I'm only a little bit insane, I joined a paid training group specifically for this race. It's awesome to have support, knowledge, and cars to drive you back down the mountain. The race is this weekend, eek! But I'm ready. My estimated finish will be between 3.5 and 4 hours. That's a big range, but it depends a lot on the weather. It can get really hot up there.

I use the run/ walk method.

The other big thing has been my diet. I've been suffering with health issues for several months, and it came to a head in July with too much pizza. So I decided to give up wheat. I've had a few slips but have been mostly wheat free since early July. The goal here is to see if I feel better. It took awhile, but I definitely do. I wasn't sure, really, if the pizza problem was wheat or dairy or the combo. And I really didn't want it to be dairy.

After the race, I will reintroduce wheat and see how it feels. A side benefit of these two things is that I've lost 5 lbs. I was perfectly happy before, as was my doctor. I haven't weighed this in years, as I'm below my second pre pregnancy weight. I do miss bread and pizza.

I wanted to record for posterity the type of foods that I am eating right now.

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with milk, banana, peanut butter
Overnight oats with milk, yogurt, banana, chia seeds, peanut butter
Fried eggs with sliced tomatoes
Fried eggs with tortillas and cheese
Chocolate protein powder smoothie with pb2 and fruit
Gluten free muffins ( superhero muffins from Run Fast Eat Slow)

Lunch
Salad with veggies, lettuce, homemade vinaigrette, cheese, olives. Sometimes beans, meat, sunflower seeds.
Sometimes leftovers

Snacks
Fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, string cheese, veggies and hummus, salmon salad, hb eggs

Dinner
A carb (rice, beans, quinoa, corn tortillas, potato, polenta), usually 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
A protein ( meat, fish, veggie burger, beans, cheese)
Cooked vegetable with olive oil

So dinner might be stir fry, Thai curry, Indian curry, tacos, salmon with potatoes and green beans, burrito bowls, spaghetti and meatballs (I use veg or polenta or rice for my base.)

Mostly I'm eating carbs for breakfast and dinner. Seems to be working.

But I still miss bread.

No comments: