Sunday, October 14, 2012

Husband Travel Week

Here's a tip about me: I like having family dinner.  I also would prefer my family eat together and that the  meal be hot.  Yesterday was a fail on many levels.  We didn't eat together, the steak was overdone, and the food was cold.  On a Saturday, when it should be easier, it wasn't.  I was disappointed.  And my six year old was cranky from the trifecta, not enough sleep, a very active day, and a flu shot.

Spouse is traveling this week.  Of course, it's the week my schedule at work increases to its new normal (80%).  It's probably the fastest possible trip to the east coast (for a 3 hour meeting) possible.  Fly out one day, fly back the next.  Assuming he makes the plane.  Traffic in DC, you never know.

So here's the plan for the week:

Lunches: bean and vegetable burritos.  I made these this morning between 6 and 7 am while the hubby and baby were sleeping and the kiddo was playing a Star Wars video game (don't judge).

Saturday: steak, roasted potatoes, salad with pomegranates.  I got six this week from the CSA. They are a pain in the ass.  But tasty.

Sunday: leftover steak, cream of celery soup, Mexican red rice.  This is the second week in a row of celery from the CSA, and it's just not "snacking celery", it's small, hard, and chewy.  It's definitely cooking celery.  Most of last week's celery went into a freezer bag for future vegetable stock, with carrot peels and onion pieces. 

Monday: leftover rice, kidney beans, cheese, broccoli.

Tuesday: chicken fingers, tater tots, carrots

Wednesday: frozen pizza, and whatever vegetables I happen to still have in the fridge at that time.  It's hard to predict.

Thursday/ Friday: I have no idea.  Maybe grilled cheese with soup?  Scrambled eggs?  Falafel?  I'd have to have the energy to cook up the chickpeas, so maybe not falafel.

Other random cooking:
Applesauce.  I used some crappy apples and pears and some good apples from my boss's orchard, and made two ridiculously easy batches of pressure cooker applesauce.  One plain, one with cinnamon.

I also made gluten-free pumpkin bread.  My neighbor is gluten free (and starch free), and she gave me a bite of bread and a bite of some mini pumpkin pies that she'd made, and they were awesome.  I made the bread which was also crazy-easy: almond flour, eggs, maple syrup, pumpkin, spices, baking soda.  Very moist.  I want to try the mini pumpkin pies next weekend with the rest of the pumpkin, which I should probably freeze.

Well, off to finish my coffee.  My plan is to go for a walk today and then head to the Lemon festival with the family.  After that, stop off at the pumpkin patch for a photo-op with the baby's friends.  He's going to be Superman.  And he slept 12 hours last night.  12.  hours.  I'd heard about babies and kids who did that.  I thought they were a myth.

3 comments:

Holly@ClubThrifty said...

You are doing an awesome job making simple, healthy meals. The kids had spaghetti tonight and my husband and I had leftovers. It's hard for me to cook a good meal during the week.

Joanne said...

Woohoo on the baby sleeping so much! That's awesome. And yay for some great menu planning!

Biz said...

Hooray for the baby sleeping 12 hours!! I miss going to the pumpkin patch with Hannah :(

It's just me and the hubs at home, and sadly, we eat dinner in front of the t.v. in the living room - drives me crazy that we only use our dining table for company!