Monday, June 11, 2012

Barley corn basil risotto

Courtesy of Martha Stewart.
I found this in one of my cookbooks, and lo and behold, it's available on line too.  It was delicious.

I love risotto because you can make it in a pressure cooker and it's fast. The problem with barley risotto is that you can't - it will foam and clog up the cooker.  So.  Lots of stirring. It took too long.  We started too late (because my husband wasn't listening so well when I told him he needed to work on dinner because I was tired).

Anyhoo, at 7:15 pm we started eating.  Sorry for the bad pic, it's a cell phone pic. Who am I kidding - my regular pics aren't great either.  My camera was dead because I moved a bunch of pictures off and forgot to turn it back off.


Barley, corn, and basil risotto:
1 cup pearl barley: 0.40
4 cups vegetable stock: 1.99
2 cups frozen corn: 1.05
2 cups fresh basil: 1.00
2 Tbsp olive oil: 0.23
1/2 cup white wine: 1.00
1/2 cup grated parmesan: 0.75
1 medium onion: 0.40
S&P

Total: $6.82 for what is supposed to be 4 servings, but was really more like 5.  So...$1.36 per serving.  You could use cheaper wine, or leave it out.  And make your own vegetable stock.  But I was being lazy and bought stock.

1 comment:

Biz said...

I never thought to use barley in a risotto?! I actually don't watch my risotto that closely, I just cook it low and slow and come back to the kitchen and stir every few minutes - turns out fine. :D

Hope you are having a great day!