Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ode to Fairview Gardens

Tonight's dinner was an ode to Fairview Gardens.  I made our dinner with many of their ingredients.  This is our CSA farm (we've been members since 2001).

I did a one-pot italian rice and vegetables.  I used to make these kinds of things in a nonstick skillet.  I recently replaced my skillet with a "green" ceramic one.  I love it, but it's curved wall not straight wall, and I lost a lot of volume.  So instead, I've been making things in the Dutch oven, but it holds heat so well, stuff sticks.  So, I'm still learning how to get it right.

Today's rice was good, but it did stick, and some of it was still crunchy.  Hopefully it will soften in the microwave tomorrow.

Sausage and Rice and Vegetable meal (you could sub beans for the sausage).
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 small sausages (I used chicken-apple-chardonnay), diced
1 medium onion, chopped (from CSA)
1 medium zucchini, chopped (from CSA)
1 bunch chard - destemmed.  Chop the stems and leaves separately (from CSA)
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups diced tomatoes/ marinara (from CSA - they canned them!)
1.5 cups white rice
1 to 2 cups water (I was experimenting here - it depends on the pot and how thick your tomatoes/sauce are).
handful fresh basil, chopped (from CSA)

Saute the sausage, onion, zucchini, chard stems in olive oil until softened and well cooked.  Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.

Add the rice, oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper and stir to coat rice with the oil.  Cook a few minutes to brown it a bit, if that's even possible in your pot full of veggies.  Add the chard and 1 cup water, reduce heat and cover to steam the chard a bit.  Add the marinara and the rest of the water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.  Cook, stirring, until rice is cooked (about 20 min).

Toss with fresh basil.

I served this with kale chips from...FG!  And guacamole made with salsa I canned last year with FG tomatoes and peppers.

1 comment:

Biz said...

I've actually never tried chard before - I may like it in something like that.

Happy Monday! (p.s. thanks for your comment on my weight loss!)