Thursday, October 30, 2008

Best Hummus

I love hummus. I have a LOT of hummus recipes, a few listed as "best" (or, the best I'd come up with then). I have had difficulty getting that creamy texture you get at restaurants. I did once find a recipe that gave me that...but 45 mins of pushing the stuff through a sieve (to get off the skins)...not my idea of fun.

Which is why I was happy to try the recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I love these guys. They take apart a recipe bit by bit. And they didn't disappoint. And no sieve! I have adjusted the flavors a bit.

Best Hummus
1 c. dried garbanzo beans: 0.65
4 T lemon juice (fresh is best, but I totally cheat sometimes): 0.24
6 T tahini (or a mixture of tahini and peanut butter): 0.56
3 T olive oil: 0.33
2 cloves garlic, pressed (0.10
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cumin: 0.07
pinch cayenne
1/3 c. water
Total: $1.95 for about 3 cups, or $0.16 for 1/4 cup serving

Soak beans 4 to 8 hours. Cook in pressure cooker for 18 min. Cool, drain.

Mix water and lemon juice in a bowl. Put drained beans, salt, cumin, cayenne, and garlic in food processor. Process until almost smooth, about 15-20 sec. Scrape down sides.

With processor running, add lemon juice/water mixture through feed tube. Scrape bowl and process one more minute.

Mix oil and tahini/peanut butter in a bowl. Start processor again, feed mixture through the feed tube. Continue processing and scraping until it is smooth, about 15-20 sec.

Sometimes I add flavorings such as sun-dried tomato or kalamata olives.

This makes a lot of hummus. I froze some.

No comments: