Sunday, September 28, 2008

Turkey Chili

Welcome to my 100th post! For Saturday, I made turkey chili. Saturday tends to be the day when I make a big bean dish. I have time, usually, to soak and cook beans before dinner.

The chili tends to be a bit labor-intensive in a "do a little bit here and there all day" kind of way. But nothing too strenuous.

Turkey Chili:
1 lb ground turkey: $1.50 (on sale)
1 lb dried kidney beans: 0.80 (5 lb bag)
1/2 lb dried black beans: 0.32 (10 lb bag on sale for $6.39)
3/4 lb onion, diced: 0.45
2-3 roasted anaheim or poblano peppers: 0.20 (from the CSA)
3 cloves garlic, minced: 0.30
28 oz can diced or crushed tomoatoes: 0.70 (from the #10 can)
6 oz tomato paste: 0.33
spices: cumin, chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper: 0.30
Total: $4.90 for 12 cups, or $0.41 per cup

Soak beans for 6 hrs. Drain and rinse. Cook as directed (I use the pressure cook -black beans 7 mins at high pressure, kidney beans 11 min at high pressure. Yes I did them separately.) Drain off most of the cooking water, but save a cup or so for consistency of the chili.

Saute turkey and onion in a large stock pot until turkey is browned and onion is cooked. Break up turkey. Add peppers, garlic, and spices and saute 1-2 min. Add remaining ingredients, except reserved bean liquid. Add more bean liquid to obtain desired consistency.

I also added one bunch of steamed, pureed collard greens, because we got them from the CSA & I never know what to do with collards. That would add about 0.10 per cup.

No comments: