Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

Well, I caught the baby's cold.  At least it's not a work day right?  I have to say, at least 3 times a week, I am asked by coworkers "when are you coming back full time?"  These are, clearly, not people who have an infant.  I kind of laugh them off.  If they push more, I ask "well, when am I supposed to get in that extra 1-1.5 hours?"

Here's a little example of my schedule: (on a gym day)
5 am, baby wakes up.  Nurse baby, put him back to bed.
5:30 am, brush teeth, bathroom, go to the gym.
5:45 to 6:30 workout at gym - 15-20 mins of intervals, 15-20 mins of strengthening/weights
6:35 - 7:45: come home, shower, pump, eat breakfast, feed baby again, get baby dressed.
7:45 - 8:00 ish: pack up my lunch bag, work/computer bag, diaper bag, and baby into the car.
8-8:10 ish, drop baby off at daycare
8:30 to 8:35, arrive at work
8:30 to 3:30 or 3:45: work.  I generally take a 20-30 min lunch, and I take 2 pump breaks, but I work during those (my computer has wireless!)
3:40-3:45ish, leave work.
4:00 pick up baby.  Drive to school.
4:20 pick up first graders (mine and the neighbor's)
4:30 get home.  Reverse the loading of the car.  Takes a couple of trips.
4:30 - 4:45, unpack and wash all the bottles and pump parts
4:45 feed baby
5-ish, neighbor's daughter gets picked up
5 to 6, try to keep tired baby happy, cook dinner, help 1st grader with homework.  Most often dinner is leftovers, but I still have to prep a vegetable.
6 to 6:30ish, eat dinner (hubby comes home at 6)
6:30 to 7:30: baby's bath (every other day,  hubby does this), nurse baby to sleep, 20 mins of reading with the 1st grader, pack lunches, put away leftovers, not in any particular order, and hubby and I take turns on the reading.
7:30 to 8: sometimes we're still doing the homework and reading
8: 1st grader's bed time - reading to him and snuggling
8:15: brush teeth, get ready for bed, more kitchen cleanup.  Then about 15 to 20 min of catching up on facebook or reading
8:30: in bed, asleep.  Sometimes it pushes into 9 pm

So, I'm working those extra hours...when?  On my non-workout days, I have an extra 45 min, spent with the first grader in the morning, getting him breakfast, etc.  When he was a baby, I worked full time.  That extra hour and a half came at the expense of sleep.  He wasn't a sleeper.  He stayed up later (8:30 pm) at night and woke up earlier (4:30 am).

With the new baby - half the days, he's asleep at 6:30 pm.  If I worked an extra 1.5 hours (until 5 pm), I wouldn't get home until 6 pm, and he'd be asleep at 6:30 or 7!  It already works that way for my husband.  He misses time with the baby during the week.

My goals for the new year?  Keep the family happy and healthy...that's it!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Ummm yeah I'm kind of amazed at your schedule! And you're right..I think having to work that extra 1-1.5 hour would drive you crazy!