Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vegan Mac Daddy Salad






I did not necessarily intend for this to be vegan. I found Barilla macaroni on sale for $1 a pound. I also had a can of black olives (I know, as far as olives go...but, my son loves them).

I had this recipe from a cooking class as the "jumping off point". But that's where the similarity ends, because I liberally substituted what I had in the pantry and fridge. And it is very, very good. And we've got lots of it.

Vegan Mac Daddy Salad
1/2 lb macaroni, cooked according to package directions, tossed with a tsp of olive oil (to prevent sticking), and chilled: 0.50
1 cup frozen peas: 0.50
1 large carrot, shredded: 0.15
1/4 c. diced fresh onion: 0.15 (I used sweet onions, because that's what I had. Bought 'em accidentally).
1/2 can black olives, sliced: 0.50
1/2 cup vegan mayo: 0.37
1/4 cup diced bread and butter pickles: 0.12
1 Tbsp dijon mustard: 0.10
1 Tbsp white vinegar: 0.01
paprika, pepper, and seasoned salt (I make my own) to taste: 0.15
Total: $2.55 for 12 cups, or $0.21 per cup

There's also some pics of my leftover couscous with some blue cheese and an egg, and our al fresco dining on the Memorial Day weekend. Nitrate free all-beef hot dogs and all. And the trip up north to pick blueberries. My four year old is a GREAT blueberry picker. He's low to the ground and found the berries that a lot of the other folks missed. We're working our way through them. I think I'm making muffins tonight after dinner.

Secret of the day...Did you know...that my spouse and I met in the military?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this recipe! looks so good and so does your other food......yes i knew that you two had met in the military and i now know you are an engineer and of course you love math and science like me ;)

Joanne said...

Sometimes the best dishes happen by accident...vegan or not. Looks awesome!

I didn't know that about you and your hubby. Very interesting... :P