Friday, July 17, 2009

Bruschetta...and summer



Tonight I bought some whole grain sourdough, and made bruschetta for on top:

Bruschetta:
1 medium tomato (I had heirloom), diced: 1.00
1 clove garlic, chopped: 0.05
4 leaves fresh basil, chiffonaded (pile on top of one another, roll into a tube, slice): 0.05
1/2 Tbsp olive oil: 0.05
pinch of salt

Mix together. Put on top of bread. Yum.

I don't drain the tomatoes, I like sopping up the leftover juice with my bread. :)

Total: $1.15 for about 1 cup of pure, delicious, summery goodness. Make the bread yourself, and it's a cheap snack (I know, it's the summer...which is why I opted for buying the bread vs. turning on the oven. Plus my weekend is packed.)


Here's a pic of last night's accoutrements. We also had corn on the cob (from the CSA, forgot that on the list) and veggie burgers.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love bruschetta - nothing beats fresh tomatoes and basil in the summer.