Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cabbage and Noodles


Ah, cabbage. I've had a lifelong hate-hate relationship with cabbage. It started by having to eat my mom's coleslaw, which I hated (something about the too-sweet dressing). It moved on to shredded cabbage with italian dressing (which was my parents' compromise), which I didn't like either.

Then there was the time I threw up after stuffed cabbage rolls, and don't even get me started on the green jello mold with shredded cabbage. About the only cabbage I liked was sauerkraut (and my brother in law now makes it from scratch - yum!)

Fast forward to 30 years later. I'm an adult and a CSA member, and we get a lot of cabbage. This week, we got a 4.5 lb cabbage. That's a lot of cabbage. I have developed a few acceptable cabbage recipes (slaw, cooked, etc.) but am always on the lookout for more - because that's a LOT of cabbage.

I did some web-surfing, found this recipe, and adjusted it a bit (a stick of butter? really?) I had a pound of tofurkey kielbasa (an impulse buy at the health food store) and voila! This was really really good. I can't wait to have the leftovers.

Cabbage and Noodles
2 lb, 5 oz shredded cabbage: $1.63
1 onion, sliced: 0.20
1 lb egg noodles: 0.75
2 T butter: 0.13
1 tsp salt: 0.01
1/2 tsp pepper: 0.02
1 tsp paprika: 0.05
1 lb tofurkey kielbasa: 2.99
Total: $5.78 for about 8 servings, 1.5 cups each. $0.72 per serving


Cook noodles according to package directions.

In a stockpot, melt the butter and saute the onions and sliced tofurkey until desired golden-brownness. Add the cabbage and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 15-20 min, stirring occasionally.

When cabbage is cooked (don't over cook! it just gets stinky), add spices and stir. Add noodles and serve.

We ate this with a little sour cream and shredded cheddar, which takes the per serving value to $0.87.

2 comments:

tknoppe said...

Yum! We fix something similar only we call it Cabbage & Sausage. No noodles in ours - but all else is basically the same as your recipe.

Cabbage & Sausage is my 9 year old son's favorite meal.

Anonymous said...

Jello...mold...cabbage?

I'm still shuddering over here....