Monday, October 11, 2010

Enchiladas and Pizza

This week I did it. For the first time. I made enough food to last the week. 10 meals worth. On Saturday, it was pita bread and chickpea stew.

On Sunday it was a tray of enchiladas, and two large pizzas. All told, 10 meals' worth, so we are set on lunch and dinner all week. I hope everything tastes good.

This time, I didn't forget the yeast in the pizza dough. That's because my hubby made the dough, while I was working. On a Sunday. Yeah.

I found a GREAT deal on cheese this week. You know how the coupon queens always talk about how coupons for cheese are a great deal? Loss leaders the way to go? Not for me. I've never found shredded cheese or block cheese at a grocery store on sale for cheaper than Costco. This weekend though, I got 2-lb bags for $4.99. Hence the pizza and enchiladas.



The pizzas - one was pesto (I have a lot of pesto), and one had a tomato sauce, made from the leftover tomatoes from the chickpea stew, a few cherry tomatoes from our plant in the garden that survived the winter and is still giving us tomatoes. We planted this guy from seed last April (2009). I added some italian seasoning. Toppings were sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms (all diced so small that hopefully my kid can't pick them off), olives, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella and blue cheese.

The enchiladas were an experiment. I can't really estimate the cost. There are too many unknowns.



Experimental enchiladas:
1 T canola oil.
1.5 cup leftover cooked brown rice and quinoa
1 mason jar of tongue of fire beans from CSA, cooked 1 hr till soft with a clove of garlic.
3 small peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp shaved hot pepper from freezer
2 c. enchilada sauce from freezer. I don't know how old it is, nor whether it was homemade or from a jar.
4 whole wheat tortillas
3 eggs
cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper
2 c. shredded cheese (colby-jack blend)

Saute onions and peppers in oil until soft.
Cook the beans
Mix the rice, beans, and veggies in a bowl with the spices.

Layer a little sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Scoop out 1/2 of the bean/rice/vegetable mixture. Cut two tortillas in half and arrange to fit the pan. Put half the remaining sauce on the tortillas. Put the rest of the mixture on top. Crack 3 eggs on top of the mixture (why not? Figured I'd try it.) then another layer of tortillas. Top with rest of the sauce and then the cheese.

Bake, covered with foil, at 350F for 30 min, then remove foil and bake another 15 min.

2 comments:

Biz said...

You had me at pizza! I didn't get my pizza fix over the weekend, I may just have to make another breakfast pizza this week!

I am with you on the cheese - its hardly ever on sale at my local grocery store - but there is a store by me that sells cheese ends for $1.99 a pound. It's all the ends of the cheese from the deli, so you never know exactly what you get.

I usually pick out any pepper jack cheese (hubs can't do spicy) and then shredd all the ends myself - not bad for $1.99 a pound - you may want to ask your deli if they have that.

HEAB said...

Wow, impressive and very inspiring as I'd love to start cooking more meals and freezing them over the weekend. Pesto is a must on pizza - oh my gosh, I love it, and I think the enchiladas sound great. My kind of experiment! :)