Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Red Kidney Bean Curry


I found this recipe on line (several versions) and decided to try it. I adjusted it based on what I had. It was very good, my toddler begged for it (but he can't have any...tummy bug). I think it needs a little green chile (jalapeno?) and maybe some cilantro. And a little more onion.


Red Kidney Bean Curry

2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked 6-8 hrs ($1.20)
4 cups water
1 large onion, finely chopped ($0.70)
2 bay leaves
1 T chopped garlic (0.20)
1 T chopped ginger (0.20)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
4 tsp coriander
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, pureed (0.70)
3 T canola oil (0.06)
salt to taste

Total: $3.06 (plus spices) for about 8 servings.

I served this over brown rice (3 cups for 0.45, about 5 servings for us).

Drain kidney beans. Add beans and water to pressure cooker. Bring to pressure and cook for 12 min.

Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves in oil in a heavy pot. When onions are golden, add spices and saute 1-2 min. Add tomatoes and cook until the oil starts to separate.

Add beans...at this point, I drained the beans first, then added in more water later. But the recipe calls for adding the liquid.

When I make this again, I will add a little more onion, maybe some jalapeno (when sauteing the onion), and then add fresh cilantro at the end. I like mine spicy, but my toddler can't handle the heat, so I have to hold back. The original recipe called for garam masala, not curry powder, but I didn't have that.
We were going to have this with a salad...we still have 1/2 head of lettuce, zucchini, radishes, carrot, broccoli left from the farm. And tomorrow is pickup day. But with a puking toddler...I skipped it.

No comments: