Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Good and The Bad (cruciferous veggies)

In my quest to find good, healthy recipes for winter veggies, I tried a recipe for Mediterranean cauliflower salad from "You On a Diet" (the website). Now, usually, I adjust recipes the first time I make them. I followed this one to a T.

Yuck. It was pretty gross. In the interest of frugality, I didn't want to throw it out. So with the leftovers, I picked out the cauliflower (drained off the capers). We topped it with shredded mozzarella and ate it warm. MUCH better.

On the other end of the spectrum...I tried a new weight watchers cabbage recipe (this one I adjusted a bit). It was delicious. Even my toddler ate a few bites.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Peanuts: (4 servings)
1 T vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 c. canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring as needed until carrots and cabbage are tender, about 10 min. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook until heated, about 3-5 mins. Toss with peanuts.

Approx cost:
oil: 0.05
cabbage: 1.00
peanuts: 0.25
carrots: 0.20
onion: 0.20
tomatoes: 0.14
vinegar: 0.17

Total: 2.01 for four large servings. This one's a keeper.

No comments: